Here are some tips to rising above, in other words, secrets to success as shared by Will Smith.
- Have a GREAT time with your life, so much so that you want to share it. You have to love living.
- Believe that you can achieve greatness. Anyone can achieve greatness. It is very simple. Decide that this is what you believe, and you can die for it.
- Understand that where you are, is not where you are going to be for the rest of your life, and behave as such because you are becoming something greater.
- There are no shortcuts to success. The relationship between talent and skill is one of the most misunderstood concepts for people who are trying to excel. Talent, you have naturally. Skill is only developed by hours and hours and hours of beating on your craft. Nothing beats work ethic. There is no easy way around it. No matter how talented you are, your talent will fail you if you are not skilled. Even an untalented person will show up and move the needle if they are more skilled than the talented person.
- Have grit. Work smart, and do not be outrun on the treadmill. In essence, do not be outworked.
- You do not set out to build a wall. Do not start out saying you are going to build the biggest, baddest wall ever. You start out by laying a brick, and committing to laying a brick as perfect as brick can possibly be laid. And when you do that every single day, soon you have a wall. A perfect wall.
- There is a certain delusional quality that all successful people have. You have to believe that something different compared to what has happened over time past will happen in your case, or your story. Confucius said, ‘He who says he can, and he who says he can’t are both usually right’.
- Being realistic is the most commonly traveled road to mediocrity. Why would you be realistic? What is the point in being realistic? The moment you determine to do it, its already done. Now you just have to put in the work and believe that as well. Usually, the universe will conspire to make it so.
- There is a redemptive power that making a choice has, rather than feeling that you are a victim to every thing that is happening in your world. Make a choice. Just decide, what its going to be, who you are going to be, and how you are going to do it. Just decide, and from that point, the universe is going to get out of your way.
- It requires obsessive focus to get anything remarkable done.
- Do not ever let anyone tell you something cannot be done. When certain people cannot do something, they have a tendency to tell you it cannot be done, if possible, expend some energy in convincing you not to do it. If you want something, go and get it. Period.